Currency Coming and Going
- A rare national bank note from Cherryvale, Kansas at auction (Numismatic News).
- A pricey 5,000 franc note from Vichy Malagasy (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- Results from Heritage's Long Beach sale featured notes from Canada and Australia (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- A discovery of Mississippi-related currency in an old safe at the state university library (Mississippi State University).
- The history to be learned from banknotes (The Guardian).
- Germany's "ghost money" (Deutsche Welle).
- Replacing damaged currency in Korea (The Korean Bizwire).
- Japan's modernizers, as they appear on its banknotes (CGTN).
- Kazakhstan demonetizes banknotes issued between 1998 and 2003 (MRI Bankers' Guide).
- The glory of the whio, on New Zealand's banknotes (Stuff).
- Indigo airline's allergy to the Indian rupee (Mumbai Mirror).
- Part of this football coach's abuse involved stuffing banknotes into his victim's mouth (BBC).
- Currency traders in Zimbabwe deemed a "security threat" (IOL).
- Twenty-seven countries where the U.S. dollar circulates as currency (Newsweek).
- The changing U.S. dollar (Business Insider).
- How U.S. currency has changed in our lifetime (Coinweek).
- The Abkhazia chapter of the Banknote Book (Banknote News).
- To commemorate the centenary of the Armistice, the Club Numismatique d’Argenteuil is hosting an exhibition of French coins and currency in the commune of Chahaignes, Nov. 10-25, 2018 (Numismag, in French).
- A look at the CFA Franc's currency union (Geldscheine-online, in German).
- Once languishing in a cellar, a big donation of German Notgeld goes to the HVB Stiftung (Geldscheine-online, in German). And: a review of German Notgeld issues across two World Wars (Geldscheine-online, in German).
Commemorating the centenary of the Armistice (Numismag).
New Banknote Issues
About the Banknote Industry
Upcoming Industry Conferences
- The Holography Conference, Minsk, Belarus, November 15-16, 2018 (Reconnaissance).
- High Security Printing-Asia, Hanoi, Vietnam, December 3-5, 2018 (Reconnaissance)
- The Anti-Counterfeit & Currency Expo, Las Vegas NV, November 6-8, 2018 (News Anyway).
- The Future of Cash 2019, Athens, Greece, February 20-21, 2019 (Future of Cash).
From the Annals of Crime
Websites to Like
- Paper Money Forum (Numismatic discussion threads)
- Newman Numismatic Portal (Digital numismatic library)
- Numismatic Bibliomania Society (Includes E-Sylum, the weekly online complement to the NBS's journal, The Asylum)
- The American Revenue Association (Hobby website).
- The American Historical Print Collectors Society (Hobby website).
- International Bank Note Society (useful features even for non-members).
- The Banknote Den (David Lok's website, with superb essays as well as a link to his book, The Many Faces of Money).
- The Higgins Museum (the one in Okoboji, IA, not Worcester, MA)
- The Currency Collector (more good essays by John Sandrock).
- COINWeek (numismatic aggregator with some paper money content).
- MRI Bankers' Guide (for its updates of new banknotes).
- Mujand (fantasy banknote maker).
- Alternative Banknotes and Coins (Alternatehistory). Fantasy thread.
- Stane Straus's Polymer Banknotes of the World
- Banknote News (roundup of news and promotional website for The Banknote Book).
- Tom Chao (collector's blog with active updates).
- Stevenbron Banknotes (collector's blog with active updates).
- Mintage World (online museum of Indian numismatics).
- Chattanooga Money (site details historical episodes in Chattanooga, Tennessee's monetary and banking history)
- My Georgia Collection (collector site devoted to "Georgia State Notes, Obsolete Currency, Bonds, and Alternative Scrip")
- Banknotesworld ("THE German-language Banknote forum") Discussion threads and more.
- Counting on Currency (Industry website).
- Kuster's Engineering (Company website). Your expert in currency disintegration.
- PYMNTS.com (Industry website).
- Currency Research (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website)
- International Association of Currency Affairs (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website).
- De La Rue (Company website).
- Secura Monde International (Company website). Good banknote news feed.
- Giesecke & Devrient (Company website).
- Patronus Systems (Company website).
- Our Passports (travel documents and other ephemera)
- Social Money (a Flickr album of photographs illustrating modern complementary currencies, heavy on Argentina).
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (search for banknotes etc.).
- Where's George? (currency tracking project).
- CoinsWeekly, especially its fine list of links to museums and other numismatic resources.
- Blog du CNA (Club Numismatique d'Argenteuil)
- French Banknotes of War (Collector's website). Abundant material in English and French.
- AFEP Association Française pour l'Étude du Papier-monnaie
- Monnaies Locales Complementaires
- Guild of Independent Currencies (promotes local currencies in the U.K.)
- Our Money (Eurozone currency).
- The Ephemera Society of America (Hobby website, with archived articles on ephemera topics)
- Fictional currency galleries (Deviant Art).
- Pakistani Currency