Currency Coming and Going
- Ex-PCGS Currency head Bradford starts new grading service (CoinNews). And here (Numismatic News).
- On February 25, 1862, the Legal Tender Act was passed (Politico).
- Canadian notes shine at Stack's Bowers NYINC auction (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- Highlight of the Joel R. Anderson Part 4 sale: 1882 $1,000 gold certificate (Coinweek).
- Personnel and program changes at Heritage Auction (Coin World).
- Heritage Auctions does a good annual business (Coin News).
- A rare Home Bank of Canada note (Coin News).
- Results from the Heritage FUN auction included Zanzibar note (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- Zimbabwe has its own currency again, sort of (BBC). The "RTGS Dollar". Is the government "too ashamed" to admit it? (All Africa). And another explanation here (MRI Bankers' Guide). Some background to the Zim central bank's move (Quartz Africa).
- Croatia is getting close to adopting the Euro (The Dubrovnik Times).
- How cash might function in a negative interest rate world (IMF Blog).
- A brief history of paper money (Interesting Engineering).
- A look at Canadian currency's security features (CTV News Toronto).
- A Bisbee, Arizona check payable in Mexican silver (American Numismatic Association).
- Philippine centennial notes lose legal tender status (Philippine Star). And here (ABS-CBN News).
- With the withdrawal of the notes of Northern Ireland's First Trust Bank, there are now eleven private banknote issuers in the entire world (JP Konig).
- The strange Haitian Dollar (JP Konig).
- Mathematicians on banknotes (Maths et Tiques, in French).
- Pierre-Joseph Proudhon's Banque du Peuple (Liberation, in French).
- Philippines central bank governor dies (Banknote News).
- Kazakhstan to limit its banknotes to Kazakh language only (MRI Bankers' Guide).
- Boosting banknote use in the U.K. through retail cashbacks (Yahoo Finance).
- World War I propaganda on banknotes and elsewhere: "Gott Strafe England" (Geldscheine-online, in German).
- Austria's inflation banknotes of 1922 (Geldscheine-online, in German).
- NEW BOOK: Notgeld Elbe-Ester (Geldscheine-online, in German). Emergency money issued between 1917 and 1945 in the former districts Liebenwerda, Schweinitz and Torgau and the region around Finsterwalde.
- In Kenya, it's all about the 'elephants' (Business Daily Africa).
- Chinese banknote scenery: The Wuxia Gorge (CGTN).
- Does Britain have a plan for a cashless future? (Quartz).
- When you wish banknotes were child-proof (Chepicap).
- Auction of rare U.S. notes makes the mainstream news (CNN).
- "Print-your-own" banknotes? (Central Banking).
- When U.S. currency stars in films (FRB of San Francisco).
- How we get movie money (CNN). Hugely interesting.
Prop money from Breaking Bad, Season Five: "How Much is Enough?"
New Banknote Issues
The Ulster Bank steps up its game (Love Belfast).
About the Banknote Industry
Upcoming Industry Conferences
- High Security Printing-EMEA, Malta, March 25-27, 2019 (Reconnaissance).
- The Currency Conference, Dubai, UAE, April 7-11, 2019 (Currency Conference).
- High Security Printing-Latin America, San Jose, Costa Rica, June 3-5, 2019 (Reconnaissance).
- The Holography Conference, Athens, Greece, November 14-15, 2019 (Reconnaissance).
From the Annals of Crime
Websites to Like
- Paper Money Forum (Numismatic discussion threads)
- Newman Numismatic Portal (Digital numismatic library)
- Numismatic Bibliomania Society (Includes E-Sylum, the weekly online complement to the NBS's journal, The Asylum)
- The American Revenue Association (Hobby website).
- The American Historical Print Collectors Society (Hobby website).
- International Bank Note Society (useful features even for non-members).
- The Banknote Den (David Lok's website, with superb essays as well as a link to his book, The Many Faces of Money).
- The Higgins Museum (the one in Okoboji, IA, not Worcester, MA)
- Cigar History Museum's coupon gallery
- Boordgeld (Dutch ships' money)
- Depression Scrip (emergency money of the 1930s, and more)
- The Currency Collector (more good essays by John Sandrock).
- Curious Banknotes (British Transition Towns, British 20th century vouchers, Micronations).
- COINWeek (numismatic aggregator with some paper money content).
- MRI Bankers' Guide (for its updates of new banknotes).
- Mujand (fantasy banknote maker).
- Alternative Banknotes and Coins (Alternatehistory). Fantasy thread.
- Stane Straus's Polymer Banknotes of the World
- Banknote News (roundup of news and promotional website for The Banknote Book).
- Tom Chao (collector's blog with active updates).
- Stevenbron Banknotes (collector's blog with active updates).
- Mintage World (online museum of Indian numismatics).
- Chattanooga Money (site details historical episodes in Chattanooga, Tennessee's monetary and banking history)
- My Georgia Collection (collector site devoted to "Georgia State Notes, Obsolete Currency, Bonds, and Alternative Scrip")
- Banknotesworld ("THE German-language Banknote forum") Discussion threads and more.
- Counting on Currency (Industry website).
- Kuster's Engineering (Company website). Your expert in currency disintegration.
- PYMNTS.com (Industry website).
- Currency Research (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website)
- International Association of Currency Affairs (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website).
- De La Rue (Company website).
- Secura Monde International (Company website). Good banknote news feed.
- Giesecke & Devrient (Company website).
- Patronus Systems (Company website).
- Our Passports (travel documents and other ephemera)
- Social Money (a Flickr album of photographs illustrating modern complementary currencies, heavy on Argentina).
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (search for banknotes etc.).
- Where's George? (currency tracking project).
- CoinsWeekly, especially its fine list of links to museums and other numismatic resources.
- Blog du CNA (Club Numismatique d'Argenteuil)
- French Banknotes of War (Collector's website). Abundant material in English and French.
- AFEP Association Française pour l'Étude du Papier-monnaie
- Monnaies Locales Complementaires
- Guild of Independent Currencies (promotes local currencies in the U.K.)
- Our Money (Eurozone currency).
- The Ephemera Society of America (Hobby website, with archived articles on ephemera topics)
- Fictional currency galleries (Deviant Art).
- Pakistani Currency