Currency Coming and Going
- Zimbabwe's money transfer woes (Nehanda Radio). Zim bond notes "a success" (All Africa) lol.
- The Museum of American Finance is changing its residence (E-Sylum).
- Dismantling Maduro, bolivar by bolivar (Bitcoin Magazine).
- "In Science and Reason We Trust" (Patheos).
- Blood-stained currency (E-Sylum)
- The Petol, a currency based on silver (Topic, via E-Sylum).
- Researching banknote typography (E-Sylum).
- The mystery of the 100,000 mark notgeld (Grimsby Telegraph).
- Gambia's soiled banknotes (Freedom Newspaper).
- Celebrating Georgiana de la Rue (Twitter).
- Making change in Half-Drachmai (PMG).
- What does the Bank of England mean by legal tender? (Bank of England).
- A Scottish currency for an independent Scotland (BBC). Are plans for a Scottish currency just a sop thrown to nationalists? (The Scottish Sun). How Scotland might set about doing it (The Scotsman).
- Belarus proposes common currency with the Russian Federation (MRI Bankers' Guide).
- "What monetary system would you create"? (Numismatic News).
- Malaysia's move towards a cashless society (Fintech Malaysia).
- ARTICLE: A portrait of Israel though its Allegoric Figures Series banknotes (Israel Studies, via JSTOR). Gated, but with abstract.
- BOOK: William L. Silber, The Story of Silver (E-Sylum). Silber on the financial crisis of 1914 (Princeton University Press).
- Psychiatric patients' "outsider art" includes renditions of banknotes (National Center for Biotechnology Information, citation with link to full text). Full text available here (Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences).
- Nigeria's fight against mutilated Naira (Independent). “We spend a lot of money printing these bank notes. We print a bank note, release a bank note on a Friday, people go to parties they dance on them. They go to churches, they squeeze it and put it in offering and by Monday it is already old and mutilated and we spend hundreds of billions of Naira to print these notes. It is so unfortunate.’’
- Mistaking a princess for a queen on Costa Rica's banknotes (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
- "The fall of the Cedi" (Modern Ghana).
- America, through French eyes (Stack's Bowers).
- Sudan prints more 500 pound notes (All Africa).
- "From the Bible to Banknotes" at the National Museum Zurich (Coinsweekly).
- Overprint error on a $5 bill (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
This is not the queen you are looking for (Bank Note Reporter, via Numismatic News).
The Business of Collecting
New Banknote Issues
About the Banknote Industry
Upcoming Industry Conferences
- High Security Printing-EMEA, Malta, March 25-27, 2019 (Reconnaissance).
- The Currency Conference, Dubai, UAE, April 7-11, 2019 (Currency Conference).
- High Security Printing-Latin America, San Jose, Costa Rica, June 3-5, 2019 (Reconnaissance).
- The Holography Conference, Athens, Greece, November 14-15, 2019 (Reconnaissance).
From the Annals of Crime
Websites to Like
- Paper Money Forum (Numismatic discussion threads)
- Newman Numismatic Portal (Digital numismatic library)
- Numismatic Bibliomania Society (Includes E-Sylum, the weekly online complement to the NBS's journal, The Asylum)
- The American Revenue Association (Hobby website).
- The American Historical Print Collectors Society (Hobby website).
- International Bank Note Society (useful features even for non-members).
- The Banknote Den (David Lok's website, with superb essays as well as a link to his book, The Many Faces of Money).
- The Higgins Museum (the one in Okoboji, IA, not Worcester, MA)
- Cigar History Museum's coupon gallery
- Boordgeld (Dutch ships' money)
- Depression Scrip (emergency money of the 1930s, and more)
- The Currency Collector (more good essays by John Sandrock).
- Curious Banknotes (British Transition Towns, British 20th century vouchers, Micronations).
- COINWeek (numismatic aggregator with some paper money content).
- MRI Bankers' Guide (for its updates of new banknotes).
- Mujand (fantasy banknote maker).
- Alternative Banknotes and Coins (Alternatehistory). Fantasy thread.
- Stane Straus's Polymer Banknotes of the World
- Banknote News (roundup of news and promotional website for The Banknote Book).
- Tom Chao (collector's blog with active updates).
- Stevenbron Banknotes (collector's blog with active updates).
- Mintage World (online museum of Indian numismatics).
- Chattanooga Money (site details historical episodes in Chattanooga, Tennessee's monetary and banking history)
- My Georgia Collection (collector site devoted to "Georgia State Notes, Obsolete Currency, Bonds, and Alternative Scrip")
- Banknotesworld ("THE German-language Banknote forum") Discussion threads and more.
- Counting on Currency (Industry website).
- Kuster's Engineering (Company website). Your expert in currency disintegration.
- PYMNTS.com (Industry website).
- Currency Research (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website)
- International Association of Currency Affairs (Industry website).
- International Banknote Designers Association (Industry website).
- De La Rue (Company website).
- Secura Monde International (Company website). Good banknote news feed.
- Giesecke & Devrient (Company website).
- Patronus Systems (Company website).
- Our Passports (travel documents and other ephemera)
- Social Money (a Flickr album of photographs illustrating modern complementary currencies, heavy on Argentina).
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (search for banknotes etc.).
- Where's George? (currency tracking project).
- CoinsWeekly, especially its fine list of links to museums and other numismatic resources.
- Blog du CNA (Club Numismatique d'Argenteuil)
- French Banknotes of War (Collector's website). Abundant material in English and French.
- AFEP Association Française pour l'Étude du Papier-monnaie
- Monnaies Locales Complementaires
- Guild of Independent Currencies (promotes local currencies in the U.K.)
- Our Money (Eurozone currency).
- The Ephemera Society of America (Hobby website, with archived articles on ephemera topics)
- Fictional currency galleries (Deviant Art).
- Pakistani Currency