SPMC member #2816, Mr. Durand was a collector of obsolete bank notes and scrip. He served as president of the SPMC 1987 to 1989; vice-president 1983-1987; treasurer 1979-1983; librarian 1994-1999; governor 1981-1988; wismer award chairman 1991-1992 and was chairman of the life membership committee, finance committee, publicity committee and served on the member recruitment committee. A very prolific author, he had many articles published in Paper Money and in 1977 he received the first SPMC literary award. He also wrote the book Obsolete Notes and Scrip of Rhode Island and the Providence Plantations in 1981 that was published in cooperation with the SPMC. He also wrote a series of thirteen books on vignettes on U.S. obsolete paper money. He was awarded an SPMC president's award n 1981 and 1990 and won the Stephen Taylor Best in Show exhibit award in 1989 and 1992. He received the Numismatic News Numismatic Ambassador Award in 1998. and was awarded an ANA president's award in 2002.
More like this
- Finances and Paper Money of the Revolutionary War (Durst reprint)
- Partners in Progress, 1864-1950, A Brief History of The Bank of California, N. A., and The Region it has Served for 85 Years
- H. A. Anderson, the First National Bank of Grantsburg, and Charter #8444 (Notes, SPMC Presentation, St. Louis, 2001)
- Money and Banking in China and Southeast Asia During the Japanese Military Occupation 1937-1945
- Musical Notgeld of Germany and Austria